Console News

Enigma

Hyuga Clan's Heir
GC 2008: Home Update
Don't worry: we're almost home.

Home. We've been waiting for it for quite some time now and some gamers were beginning to think it would never arrive at all. But here at the German Games Convention, Home did in fact make an appearance at the top of a stylish, multi-tiered patio structure built into Sony's booth. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Martijn Van der Meulen, a Producer on Home, to talk about what's going on with the free software that promises to revolutionize the way PS3 owners interact with one another online.

First and foremost, Van der Meulen told me (without hesitation) that it is a 100 percent guarantee that Home will be released by the end of this calendar year. He has absolutely no doubt that this will be the case, so it looks like the long wait to come Home is finally reaching its conclusion. Van der Meulen also assured me, quite adamantly, that Home will always be a free service -- only premium content will need to be purchased. I know some gamers were concerned that once Home reached a certain user base, a fee might be applied to the service, but this is not the case. Van der Meulen says that there are no plans to charge for Home, even in the far future.

With that out of the way, Van der Meulen walked me through the basics of Home and showed off the most recent build that's running the extended private Beta. Everything looks extremely polished and well designed. We started off in an apartment space, where Van der Meulen explained that everyone will get a free Harbor studio apartment when they first get into Home and better apartments can be acquired down the line. However, it's hard for me to imagine an apartment better than that one, as the highly pleasing aesthetics of the building, coupled with the incredibly gorgeous view, make me want that apartment in real life. One can dream.

Van der Meulen also walked me through the Wardrobe tool which allows you to create and customize your character in a variety of ways, including simple things like clothing all the way down to the finest details. I was amazed at the level of control you have over character creation, because you can actually adjust sliders for things such as facial structure, skull width and other highly subtle attributes. Although several presets are including just in case you want to get right into the swing of things, gamers will have a lot of control over what sort of character they wish to create.

Van der Meulen said that items like clothing, furniture and other knickknacks can be unlocked and also rewarded through other external games. Games can communicate with Home, so if you beat, for example, God of War 3, maybe you'll unlock a Kratos t-shirt in Home to wear. These sorts of possibilities are definitely exciting because this gives developers another avenue to not only promote their products but give gamers a little bonus for playing their games.

Our next stop was the Home Square, a beautiful central area with trees, an open sky and several entertainment hotspots. From the Square, users will be able to access a bowling alley, theater, shopping mall and a monorail station. Again, everything in Home is looking really nice, especially for a totally free, downloadable service. I think my favorite aspect of the visuals is how everything is designed and meshes together into such a sleekly modern yet gentle space.

We also tried our hand at some pool and a few of the arcade machines. These worked really well and the arcade games are especially fun. Van der Meulen mentioned that players will be able to take arcade machines back into their private apartment so friends can play them without waiting around in line at the public venues. With so many spaces to worry about, some gamers were concerned that walking/running around through the world would take too much time, but you can warp anywhere you'd like using your virtual PSP, just by selecting the visual chip from the World Map. Just like the rest of the software, this interface is sharp and aesthetically pleasing.

The last area that Van der Meulen mentioned was the PlayStation Event Space, which some of you may have heard of before. In this space, Home users can watch live conference streams with other PS3 owners and even use the space as a way of communicating with developers. This, along with all the other spaces planned, should definitely add to Home's flavor.

I know some people are skeptical about the service, but I think Home has a lot of potential and could really personalize Sony's online service. I look forward to really getting into Home sometime this year.

che dire se non: sperem!

P.S. che figo, non sapevo ci fosse una psp virtuale, mi chiedo se ne abbia tutte le funzionalità XD

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
Immersion pays Microsoft $20 million

In a rather strange turn of events, Immersion - the infamous patent holders for rumble technology - have been forced to pay Microsoft a one-off fee of around USD 20 million as a result of Sony implementing the technology in its DualShock 3 pad.

According to the legal wranglings, Microsoft tied up a deal when designing the 360 controller that included a clause for a USD 15 million payout from Immersion should Sony ever licence the technology for their own use.

Immersion initially refused to pay when DualShock 3 was eventually released, but Microsoft has now won the resultant legal case for a whopping USD 20.75 million in total.

All of which is rather silly, and hopefully the last word on the subject for any future generations of hardware.

Fonte -- PSU

M$ non si smentisce mai xD

Enigma

Hyuga Clan's Heir
controllate questo articolo, parla dell'interese di Sony nel rendere tutto piu "free" in futuro, per me è una cosa superlativa : D

ci sono anche altre news su Home

Home Hits Asia In "Fall 2008"

Sony have announced that Home, the Playstation 3's long-awaited online fashion show and wandering-around simulator, will be coming to Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan in "Fall 2008". Doesn't sound like idle speculation, either, as that's coming straight from a Sony press release. To help ensure everything's ready to go ahead of the launch, there'll be a closed beta held in September for residents of the region. If that's you, keep an eye on this site, details on how to get in will be going up on August 29.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT HONG KONG LIMITED ANNOUNCES 3D ONLINE-USER COMMUNITY SERVICE FOR PLAYSTATION®3– 「PLAYSTATION®HOME」 COMING TO HONG KONG, SINGAPORE AND TAIWAN IN FALL 2008

CLOSED BETA TESTING FOR 「PLAYSTATION®HOME」WILL START FROM MID-SEPTEMBER 2008

Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong Limited (SCEH) today announced that the unveiling of a first-of-its-kind 3D online community service for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system would be available for Hong Kong , Singapore and Taiwan region PLAYSTATION®Network users.

PlayStation®Home is the online community service on PLAYSTATION®Network. It is an evolving online social gaming service built for PS3™ users to meet and share gaming experiences. With an avatar uniquely customized according to each user’s preference, users can explore the 3D community which includes custom spaces dedicated to specific games, press releases on kotaku, event spaces or personal apartments. Each user is assigned an apartment in PlayStation®Home where they can invite others to join them as they show off their own style in an area they can personalize themselves with furniture and other items. Very rich interactive communication with others is achieved through built in text, audio chat, along with sophisticated emotional animations for each character.

PlayStation®Home official website for Asia is now available at The Closed Beta testing for PlayStation®Home will be starting from Mid-September 2008. SCEH would like to invite Hong Kong and Singapore users to participate in the Closed Beta testing. The details will be available on the official website from August 29, 2008.

SCEH will continue to further expand PS3 users’ gaming experience and create a new world of computer entertainment by offering the high quality of the world of PlayStation®Home towards the Open Beta Service in this fall along with more and more attractive PS3 software titles which will be available le in the market

Enigma

Hyuga Clan's Heir
No New Model PS2 for UK

Sony has Confirmed to Eurogamer that they have no plans to release their new super slim Playstation 2 system in the UK.

The new model is slightly smaller and thinner than the traditional slimline and doesn't come with an AC adapter. The model has been selling in Japan for a while and has just recently started selling in the USA.

According to Sony, the console will not be appearing on UK store shelves but has been released in other parts of Europe. "We won't be releasing the new model PS2 in the UK," a spokesperson stated.

"It has launched in a few SCEE territories already," confirmed the Sony representative.

ma che avrà di cosi super questa slim :confused:

-------------------------​

New Playstation 3 Bundles Revealed

SCEE have announced two new Playstation 3 bundles will be hitting the shops during September and October.

The first will be launched on September 10th, and will include the 80GB unit, two DualShock 3 pads and a copy of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

The second bundle will be launched on October 29th, and will include an 80GB PS3, one DualShock and a copy of a Blu-Ray movie.
No pricing info has been revealed yet.

Rejectdial

U sir R a n00b >:-(
Enigma ha detto:
No New Model PS2 for UK

Sony has Confirmed to Eurogamer that they have no plans to release their new super slim Playstation 2 system in the UK.

The new model is slightly smaller and thinner than the traditional slimline and doesn't come with an AC adapter. The model has been selling in Japan for a while and has just recently started selling in the USA.

According to Sony, the console will not be appearing on UK store shelves but has been released in other parts of Europe. "We won't be releasing the new model PS2 in the UK," a spokesperson stated.

"It has launched in a few SCEE territories already," confirmed the Sony representative.

ma che avrà di cosi super questa slim :confused:

Induce le ragazze all'anoressia.

:°D

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
Rumor: Xbox 360's defect rate was as high as 68%

According to VentureBeat's own Dean Takahashi and his numerous insider sources, 68% of all the early manufactured Xbox 360 consoles were defective and Microsoft knew it. Takahashi does mention that it's common industry knowledge that "early yields on electronic goods are almost always lousy", but in the case of the 360, the problem was never fixed and production of the defective consoles went as planned. Because, you know, Microsoft had launch plans to stick to.

Again, this is all rumor seeing that Microsoft would never admit to such knowledge or such high defective rate numbers, but let's say they knew that 68% of all their consoles had a potential for failure. If so, shame on them, but we think they learned their lesson.

Fonte -- Xbox 360 Fanboy // Joystiq

Jeegsephirot

Metal Jeeg Solid
Staff Forum
Solite voci, prima era il 33% ora il 68%... bah.
Sta di fatto che io, come tanti altri, ho ancora la vecchia 360 di prima generazione e funziona perfettamente.
Che poi il problema è esistito nessuno lo mette in dubbio, ma queste stime lasciano il tempo che trovano, secondo me.

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
Jeegsephirot ha detto:
Solite voci, prima era il 33% ora il 68%... bah.
Sta di fatto che io, come tanti altri, ho ancora la vecchia 360 di prima generazione e funziona perfettamente.
secondo me la differenza tra chi ha avuto questo problema e chi no è quanto tempo giochi al giorno...te quanto tempo passi con la xbox accesa con un videogame dentro?tu che lavori credo forse 1 ora al giorno?2 max?e a volte non la accendi proprio?...chi invece chi ci gioca molto più assiduamente ha questi tipi di problemi...anche se fosse 33%...è sempre 33% porco cane...non credi che sia un valore un po' troppo elevato?e poi comunque MS ha negato per tipo 2 anni che questo problema non esisteva e invece poi se ne uscita fuori ammettendolo e aumentando la garanzia di 3 anni...se queste si chiamano voci...

Jeegsephirot

Metal Jeeg Solid
Staff Forum
Jiraiya ha detto:
secondo me la differenza tra chi ha avuto questo problema e chi no è quanto tempo giochi al giorno...te quanto tempo passi con la xbox accesa con un videogame dentro?tu che lavori credo forse 1 ora al giorno?2 max?e a volte non la accendi proprio?...chi invece chi ci gioca molto più assiduamente ha questi tipi di problemi...anche se fosse 33%...è sempre 33% porco cane...non credi che sia un valore un po' troppo elevato?e poi comunque MS ha negato per tipo 2 anni che questo problema non esisteva e invece poi se ne uscita fuori ammettendolo e aumentando la garanzia di 3 anni...se queste si chiamano voci...

la mia è accesa 6 ore al giorno in media (ce anche mio fratello) e nei weekend o nei periodi di vacanza arriva a stare accesa anche 10-11 ore al giorno, ovviamente non tutti i giorni visto che ho anche tutte le altre console a cui giocare.
Che poi ho detto: che il problema dell hardware difettoso sia esistito, non lo nego, ma per me le stime valgono meno di zero, che siano 33 o 68%.
Il fatto di averla fatta uscire prima è stata il suo punto forte e allo stesso tempo il suo punto debole. In ogni caso finche ho il servizio di garanzia che funziona perfettamente, io non ho di che lamentarmi.

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
Jeegsephirot ha detto:
la mia è accesa 6 ore al giorno in media (ce anche mio fratello) e nei weekend o nei periodi di vacanza arriva a stare accesa anche 10-11 ore al giorno, ovviamente non tutti i giorni visto che ho anche tutte le altre console a cui giocare.
Che poi ho detto: che il problema dell hardware difettoso sia esistito, non lo nego, ma per me le stime valgono meno di zero, che siano 33 o 68%.
Il fatto di averla fatta uscire prima è stata il suo punto forte e allo stesso tempo il suo punto debole. In ogni caso finche ho il servizio di garanzia che funziona perfettamente, io non ho di che lamentarmi.
nulla da ridire..concordo...

Jeegsephirot

Metal Jeeg Solid
Staff Forum
Xbox 360: calo di prezzo confermato ufficialmente

Dopo i rumors dei giorni scorsi, Microsoft ha finalmente confermato la notizia che molti aspettavano: tutti i modelli di Xbox 360 subiranno un calo di prezzo in Europa, a partire da venerdì 19 settembre, ossia tra soli tre giorni. I nuovi prezzi sono estremamente invitanti, soprattutto per chi è interessato al modello Elite che arriva ora a costare 299 Euro, mentre la Xbox 360 Pro con Hard Disk da 60 GB viene solo 239 Euro, meno del Wii di Nintendo.

Ovviamente la più conveniente di tutte rimane la versione Arcade, priva di Hard Disk ma dotata di memory card da 256 MB, che sarà venduta da venerdì a 179 Euro. Riepilogando quindi:

* Xbox 360 Arcade: 179 Euro
* Xbox 360 Pro: 239 Euro
* Xbox 360 Elite: 299 Euro

Un ottimo incentivo per chi era ancora indeciso sull'acquisto della console, o per chi magari voleva passare ad un modello superiore rispetto a quello attualmente posseduto: sicuramente la cosa darà un grosso aiutero alle vendite di Xbox 360 in Europa, visto che è attualmente la console più economica sul mercato.

fonte: mondoxbox

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
Naa..io aspetto la Jasper...e poi credo che compro l'arcade...ma poi gli aggiornamenti del sistema li posso fare comunque oppure ho bisogno di HDD?perchè se no vado con la 60GB...

Jeegsephirot

Metal Jeeg Solid
Staff Forum
Jiraiya ha detto:
Naa..io aspetto la Jasper...e poi credo che compro l'arcade...ma poi gli aggiornamenti del sistema li posso fare comunque oppure ho bisogno di HDD?perchè se no vado con la 60GB...

si, basta la memory unit (che trovi all interno dell arcade) per fare gli aggiornamenti

Jiraiya

Sensei Member
X360 batte Wii e PS3 in Giappone

Per la prima volta in assoluto, la console Microsoft è riuscita a vendere più unità non solo rispetto a PS3, ma anche a Wii. I numeri pubblicati parlano di 28.681 unità per la settimana dal 7 al 14 settembre, contro le 27.057 unità per Wii e solo 8.050 per Playstation 3.
Ciò sarebbe avvenuto grazie al rifornimento di console, che scarseggiavano dopo l'arrivo del gioco di ruolo di Namco Bandai Tales of Vesperia, e soprattutto grazie all'uscita di Infinite Undiscovery di Square Enix.

Fonte -- Spaziogames.it